Early Lee Yates
In 1943 while my Dad was stationed in the Pacific during WWII. The Family house in Fyffe caught on fire. The men had just brought in some rich pine knots for kindling, and the fire wood was green. When the two were put together in the fire place, it resulted in a enormous amount of sparks up the chimney and onto the roof. The roof caught on fire the family did not notice until the blaze was quite heavy. My uncle Chalmer was only 3 years old at the time, he was placed on the wagon for safety, but remembered the event in detail. My uncle John who was about 16 or 17 years old jumped on his horse and rode to the neighbors house to call for help. When he returned he immediate got on the roof and began to fight the fire. My cousin GW came out of the field and began to fight also. Within a few minutes several people had arrived and the fire was out the only loss was the roof.
The house wasn't in very good condition so the neighbors decided to build my Grandfather and his family a new house. Within 31 days the new house was completed. The outside shell, roof, doors and windows were up. The inside of the house still needed partitions. My Aunt Mertie Mae who was in her twenties at the time designed the layout of the interior walls and supervised their construction. My Uncle John remarked that even with the speed of the new house construction he was still able to plant several acres and keep up all of his other duties.
This story came from Uncle John, Uncle Chalmer, Aunt Inez and Aunt Mertie Mae
23 May 2004 @ 1 PM